Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Africa - The Power of Tribal Art

When I was 30, a friend needed to sell his collection of African masks and sculpture. The 25-piece collection lived at my home for months while I previewed the purchase opportunity for my associates. Though I never had an understanding or appreciation for tribal art to that time, living with those powerful pieces for months left me with a real sense of their meaning and value. I grew so fond of the collection that I was very sorry to see it go when a more serious collector stepped up and bought it all. I should never have let those pieces out the door. Since then I've been acquiring some African art of my own, including masks, batiks, weavings, baskets and wood carvings. I've included some of the pics in this post. Let me know what you think.






No comments: