Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dr. Paul Farmer - Great Man, Good Read

Tracy Kidder is one of our greatest storytellers. A Pulitzer prize winning author, Kidder first attracted my attention with Soul of the New Machine. I read that chronicle of the birth of a new computer just as I was moving up in the high-tech industry during my career. It was totally inspirational, and captured the energy, excitment and exhaustion that accompanied the technology revolution. So naturally, I was delighted when my eldest daughter gave me Kidder's Mountains Beyond Mountains to read on my recent holiday.

The entire title is Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World. It is classic understatement to describe this book as an inspiration. Dr. Farmer is a saint, nothing less. And the work he has taken on would crush a normal human. Co-founder of Partners in Health, Dr. Farmer is responsible for much of the current attention on drug resistant TB, and his work in the poorest part of Haiti is now legendary. So without furth ado, this is a great story, told by a wonderful biographer about one of the most interesting individuals on the planet. What's not to love? Buy it now. And prepared to be lifted up and inspired.

No comments: